A Scottish man has escaped prison after he was found not guilty of rape following his claim that he suffers from “sexsomnia.” Darrell Swanson, 39 and from Dunfermline, Fife, said that his rare psychological condition meant that he had no idea he was having sex in the night and that because of this, he couldn’t be found guilty. It seems a judge agreed.
1. SWANSON WAS CHARGED WITH THREE HISTORIC COUNTS OF RAPE.Two of the counts involved a 36-year-old woman while the third involved a 30-year-old woman who was 15 years old at the time of the alleged assault, the Central Fife Times reports. It was claimed that he further sent the latter victim explicit photos and messages when she was 24.
2. THE ALLEGED VICTIM CLAIMED HE HAD NO MEMORY OF HAVING SEX WITH THE 36-YEAR-OLD WOMAN.She claimed that he had gone to therapy twice for the condition, but he denied it altogether. “The reason I went to the doctor was because of masturbating and porn because she said it was a problem. I thought she was just overreacting to it,” he told the court. “I’ve never had sex with her while she was sleeping. It didn’t happen. The furthest it went was groping her or moving her clothing.”
3. THE BEST DATING/RELATIONSHIPS ADVICE ON THE WEB – SPONSORED If you’re reading this, check out Relationship Hero, a site where highly trained relationship coaches get you, get your situation, and help you accomplish what you want. They help you through complicated and difficult love situations like deciphering mixed signals, getting over a breakup, or anything else you’re worried about. You immediately connect with an awesome coach on text or over the phone in minutes.
4. HE ALSO INSISTED HE NEVER HAD SEX WITH THE YOUNGER WOMAN.Swanson told the court that he definitely didn’t ply the younger woman with alcohol before raping her and that if he’d wanted to have sex, he would have woke her up to do so. “Why would you have sex with someone while they’re sleeping? I can’t explain something that didn’t happen. I dinnae get it. I dinnae get any of this,” he insisted. “If she was sleeping I would have had to have woken her up to have sex with her. If I’d woken her up she wouldn’t want sex anyway.”
5. A SLEEP SPECIALIST TESTIFIED ON SWANSON’S BEHALF.According to Dr. Ian Morrison, a consultant neurologist with NHS Tayside and a specialist in sleep medicine, Swanson’s claim that he had no memory of having sex with the women in question is plausible because it’s the very definition of “sexsomnia.” He told the court: “It’s almost exclusively the case that there’s a lack of recall. Generally speaking, patients do not recall. Some see it as a bit of a joke and laugh it off. Some find it very embarrassing and some are sympathetic to the position.”
6. HE WAS CLEARED OF ALL COUNTS AGAINST HIM.It took the jury less than 90 minutes to come back with a not guilty verdict on all three counts against him, meaning he was free to leave with no further consequences.
California cops’ Memorial Day tribute busted by spelling police
Just throw in the “e” for effort.
A well-meaning salute to heroes by the San Jose Police Department was cited for bad spelling on Twitter, where the cops botched an operative word.
“Remembering and Honoring Our Heros,” reads a graphic celebrating Memorial Day.
Several commenters, all of whom should expect to get a ticket if pulled over for speeding in the Silicon Valley area, noted that a heros is a type of fish found in South America.
Only 10 people who’ve gotten Moderna’s COVID-19 vaccine have had severe allergic reactions – and more than 4 million doses have been given out
The odds of having a severe allergic reaction after receiving Moderna’s COVID-19 vaccine are looking incredibly slim.
On Friday the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released its first comprehensive trove of data detailing how many people have had confirmed allergic reactions after getting Moderna’s new shot.
Among more than 4 million doses of the vaccine that were administered nationwide from December 21 to January 10, just 10 people reported confirmed cases of anaphylaxis after vaccination, which is a severe allergic reaction requiring administration of epinephrine. That rate of anaphylaxis cases is 2.5 per million.
An additional 43 vaccine-takers had less severe nonanaphylactic allergic reactions, with symptoms including itching (especially in the mouth and throat), rashes, and “sensations of throat closure.”
There have been no reports of death so far, and patients have generally recovered well after these allergic reactions, though five of the 10 severe cases had to be admitted to intensive care first. ( Pfizer’s new COVID-19 vaccine , too, has been very rarely associated with severe allergic reactions .)
Read More : Why America’s vaccine rollout was a total disaster – and what it means for the next few months
10 women have had severe, allergic reactions to the Moderna vaccine
The first day of Moderna COVID-19 vaccinations in Broadbent Arena at the Kentucky State Fair and Exposition Center on January 4, 2021 in Louisville, Kentucky.
Jon Cherry/Getty Images
All of the confirmed cases of anaphylaxis after administration of Moderna’s shot so far were in women, which isn’t a huge surprise when you consider that most of the non-elderly people who’ve been vaccinated so far are healthcare workers, an industry which is 76% female in the US.
In addition, according to CDC data, more than 2.4 million woman have gotten Moderna’s shot, compared with 1.4 million men (an additional 125,000-plus people who got Moderna shots didn’t record a sex.)
Most of the anaphylactic reactions happened within just minutes of vaccination. Only one of the ten cases took longer than 30 minutes to present, post-vaccination:
For these reasons, the CDC is recommending that all vaccine sites have doses of epinephrine on hand, and that people who get vaccinated should wait 30 minutes at the vaccine site before heading off, just in case something happens.
“It’s important that anybody who has had anaphylaxis talk to their vaccinator about that, and make sure that if they choose to be vaccinated, they wait the 30 minutes,” Dr. Thomas Clark, who’s been tracking allergic reactions after vaccination at the CDC, told reporters earlier this month .
Nine of the 10 patients who had severe, allergic reactions after Moderna’s shot had a history of allergies, and the most common allergies among them were to drugs (six patients). Just one patient with a severe reaction after vaccination had a food allergy.
“You know, many, many people with histories of allergies were vaccinated uneventfully,” Dr. Clark added.
People who do have an allergic reaction after their first shot of Moderna or Pfizer’s vaccine should not get their second dose, the CDC says.
Sullivan County Sheriff’s Office: Woman charged with second-degree murder following shooting
PINEY FLATS, Tenn. (WJHL) – The Sullivan County Sheriff’s Office has charged a woman with second-degree murder following a shooting investigation.
According to a release, Teresa Sherrill, 48, is charged for the death of John Sherrill, 71.
The Sullivan County Sheriff’s Office Dispatch received a 911 call Sunday just before 9:00 p.m. from 341 Warren Road in Piney Flats in “reference to a shooting.”
“The caller identified herself as Teresa Sherrill and stated that her boyfriend, John Sherrill, had attacked her,” the press release said. “Ms. Sherrill stated that she shot Mr. Sherrill.”
According to the press release, upon arrival, deputies discovered John Sherrill was dead.
The release stated the victim appeared to have both knife and gunshot wounds.
Sherill is being held in the Sullivan County Jail on a $10,000 bond.
- Crime & Tragedy1 week ago
Man who raped and killed Britain’s worst pedophile Richard Huckle wanted him to ‘feel what those children felt’
- Family11 months ago
Angola: Mother on deathbed says 12-year-old son is offspring of human-chimpanzee love affair
- Crime7 months ago
BURGLAR SUES HOMEOWNER AFTER BEING RAPED BY GERMAN SHEPHERDS WHILE STUCK IN HOUSE’S PET DOOR
- Life1 week ago
‘Unmasked, unmuzzled, unvaccainated’ mother-of-four dies of COVID
- Crime & Tragedy2 weeks ago
Madeleine McCann: Christian Brueckner’s ex says he abused her 5-year-old daughter and took photos during act
- Crime & Tragedy2 months ago
Who was Gloria Satterfield? Murdaugh murders linked to family housekeeper’s death
- Majestic11 months ago
23-Year Old Mother Made History With A Birth That Only Happens Every 480 Years
- wsn1 month ago
Bachelor Party Hikers Saw Angela Tramonte And Police Officer Date Before She Was Found Dead: ‘It Did Not Appear To Be Amicable’