Connect with us


Wife wanted to get divorced. Then her husband came home without his nose and hands. What she decided next is really surprising



Beck Weathers is a 70-year-old from Dallas, Texas. You may recognize his name, and that’s because he was part of a group that scaled Mount Everest in 1996. It was one of the most tragic expeditions in mountain climbing history, and what Beck experienced on that peak changed his life forever.

Beck Weathers was an anatomical pathology expert. He earned a very good living and led a relatively happy life with his wife, Peach, and their children.

You can hear the story in Beck’s own words in this interview:

But since the age of 20, Beck had been plagued by depression. His need to be alone would often lead him to abandon his family for short periods. This behavior was hard on them, especially his wife. For years she tolerated it, hoping that some day her husband would get better and stop turning his back on her.

When Beck announced that he wanted to climb the seven highest peaks in the world, his wife did not try to stand in his way. A few months later, he was on his way to Mount Everest.

In May 1996, at the age of 50, Beck started the ascension of the highest mountain on earth.

Beck and his team of mountaineers made slow progress up the mountain. As they reached higher altitudes, the effect of oxygen deprivation began to take hold and the cold was almost unbearable.

But finally they reached the peak. It had been a tough haul, but they had made it.

Beck felt a sense of joy that he had never before experienced in his life. The sky was clear and he was able to spend some time simply looking out over the world and enjoying the breathtaking view.

But suddenly the sky darkened. It was every mountaineer’s worst nightmare — a storm was moving in fast and they would soon be trapped on the mountain. It was May 10, 1996, a day that would go down in history as the date of one of the worst tragedies in mountaineering history.

As he watched the storm blow in, Beck knew that he was about to face the toughest challenge of his life.

The team of mountaineers began the descent as fast as they could, but the storm blew in so quickly that they were soon stuck and could not go any further. They tucked into a rocky ridge for shelter and tried to wait out the storm. A few members of the team with enough strength continued down to base camp to try to get help. But the others remained on the mountainside overnight, struggling to survive the brutal wind and freezing temperatures.

When other members of the expedition arrived at the site the next day, they examined the scene and were forced to make some very tough decisions. The mountaineers who had managed to survive through the night were now too frozen and weak to walk down on their own and had to be carried.

But there simply weren’t enough fit people left to carry them all down. They had no choice but to help the mountaineers who they believed still had the best chance of survival. Beck described the situation like this: “Even though we were still breathing, we looked almost dead and they thought we wouldn’t survive the trip back down. They decided to let us die. It was kind of a medical thing, like what happens during wars, the classic type of selection under these circumstances.”

Beck fell into a hypothermic coma that lasted 22 hours. When he woke up, he could see the body of Yasuko Namba, another member of his team. Then he saw a vision of his wife and children and it was that vision that gave him the strength to stand up and start the long journey down the mountain.

By this time his hands and nose were black with frostbite. He knew that his chances of survival were slim, but he was determined to at least make it back and say goodbye to his family before he died.

Beck left all of his equipment behind and just started walking. As if by some miracle, he came upon a camp at an altitude of 8,000 meters. The team there couldn’t believe their eyes when they saw him approaching as if out of thin air. He had already been given up for dead twice and had had nothing to eat or drink for three days. Beck fell down at the edge of the campsite and was carried into a tent. When they saw the condition he was in, the other mountaineers were certain that he would not be alive much longer.

But he did survive the night — and many hours after that. Seeing that he was not about to give up on life so easily, the others managed to carry him to a lower altitude where he was picked up by a helicopter. Beck received proper medical treatment and was soon able to sit up and move around.

And despite what he had been through, he was surprisingly optimistic: “I can’t explain it, but it seemed like my body had dealt with the hypothermia and I felt almost rejuvenated after the Dexamethasone injection. I could even stand up and put on my shoes.”

When Beck was finally able to walk again, he remembers coming out of his tent and being met with stares of disbelief. People simply couldn’t believe that someone could survive what he had been through. But Beck was still alive and he couldn’t hold back his joy. He even started to sing and joked: “They told me this expedition could cost me an arm and leg. They couldn’t have been more right!”

Meanwhile, his wife was completely devastated. She had already been informed that her husband had been left on the mountain and thought that she had lost him forever.

Peach had always felt like she was raising their kids alone. Beck was constantly away on some adventure or another, and she wasn’t sure if she could take it anymore. The stress of having to deal with her husband’s constant search for new challenges had slowly eaten away at her love for him. Just before Beck had left for Everest, Peach had made a harsh decision: she wanted a divorce.

But Beck’s experience on Mount Everest had been a revelation for him. He could clearly see that his depression had caused him to turn his back on his family repeatedly and all he wanted now was to be with them and never leave again. “When I left to climb Everest, I felt like I was fulfilling my role as a husband… but I was completely wrong. I never let my family know that I was there for them. What happened up there made me reassess and re-examine my life and how I really wanted to live,” said Beck.

When Peach received the news that her husband had not died after all, she was overcome with emotion. The thought of him dying had forced her to rethink her decision about a divorce and when Beck arrived home, she could sense that there was something different about him. And it wasn’t just the scars and injuries — it was something inside him.

She knew then and there that she was willing to give him a second chance.

But the couple still had a lot to deal with. Beck’s recovery required the amputation of one leg and both his hands.

Thanks to some very advanced surgical techniques, Beck’s left hand was transformed into an appendage that allowed him to hold and grab things.

The frostbite had also taken Beck’s nose, but doctors were able to reconstruct it using skin grafts.

Yet despite all of this, Beck still considers himself to be one of the most fortunate people in the world. He has learned to love life again and that means spending every possible minute with his loving family. The dark cloud that had hung over the marriage is gone and the divorce plans are now just a distant memory.

Beck wrote a book with his wife called “Left for Dead: My Journey Home from Everest” in which he and his wife tell their sides of the story and give their personal insights into the tragedy.

In 2015, the movie “Everest” based on his book hit theaters. Beck loved the realism of the landscapes but was disappointed about the portrayal of some of the people on his expedition team. Still, despite that, seeing what he experienced on that mountain come to life on the big screen felt like a release from of all this tragedy.

To this day, doctors cannot explain how someone could survive the conditions that Beck was exposed to. But Beck knows that it was the undying love of his family that enabled him to survive on that hostile mountain.

It was an experience that brought him closer to the ones he loved and gave him the strength to approach life from a whole new perspective. Beck may have lost his limbs, but he gained much more. And isn’t that proof enough that love really can move mountains?

Continue Reading


Tale of rescue after falling several floors in Fla. collapse



FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — When 16-year-old rising volleyball star Deven Gonzalez was pulled from the rubble of her Miami condo building, her initial reaction amid the shock was to tell firefighters that she had to compete in a major tournament in a few days.

The teen’s world revolved around volleyball. She played beach volleyball, on her high school team and with a competitive travel club team. From her hospital bed where she’s undergone multiple surgeries for a broken femur, she apologized profusely to her coach for missing their final practice.

“I said, ‘Let’s focus on you right now and not volleyball,'” said club coach Amy Morgan, who described Gonzalez as extremely determined, passionate and unrelenting in pursuing her goals.

Gonzalez lived with her parents on the ninth floor of Champlain Towers South. She and her mother, Angela Gonzalez, fell several stories before being rescued on the fifth floor, she told her coach. Her mother was among the survivors pulled from the rubble and is still hospitalized with serious injuries, Morgan told The Associated Press.

At least two dozen were killed in the building’s partial collapse June 24. Deven Gonzalez’s father, attorney Edgar Gonzalez, is among the more than 120 still missing. The family’s eldest daughter, Taylor, who was not in the building at the time of the collapse, has been a source of strength for her mom and sister, according to Morgan and Joslyn Varona, a family friend who has posted frequent updates on Facebook.

“This is a strong and wonderful family,” Varona said. “They have a lot of faith.”
Deven Gonzalez still hasn’t been able to see her mother because they are in separate parts of the hospital, but she briefly video chatted with her a few days ago on her mother’s birthday when Angela Gonzalez’s intubation tube was removed, Morgan said.

even Gonzalez was conscious when the building collapsed and throughout her traumatic rescue, her coach said. She remembers the details vividly and is having trouble sleeping, haunted by nightmares.
“I don’t know if she’s completely come to terms with everything. She has and she hasn’t,” said Morgan, who added that Gonzalez was unaware of the extent of the tragedy and the worldwide attention it’s received.

“She says, ‘My dad’s still missing. My dad’s still missing,'” Morgan said. “She gets really choked up about it.”

The teen even took her first few steps recently.

“It’s going to be a nasty, hard painful road, but I think she can do it,” Morgan said.
Angela Gonzalez will undergo surgery for her extensive injuries this week, but has been responsive when asked questions, Varona said in her Facebook posts.

“There has not been any news on Edgar,” Varona wrote. “We are still praying and hoping for a miracle.”
Varona said she has set up a letter writing campaign to encourage the family.

Edgar and Angela Gonzalez were extremely involved with their daughter’s volleyball goals, the coach said. Her mom was like the team therapist, always listening and encouraging the girls.

Edgar is a kind, gentle and jolly father, Morgan said. After one tournament, he helped prepare a massive BBQ feast for the team. The family was about to leave for Orlando when the building collapsed. Edgar was so excited he’d been packed for two weeks.

“They’re so loving, so supportive,” Morgan said. “I see a lot of (Gonzalez’s) strength coming from her parents.”

The tragedy has been difficult on the close-knit volleyball team, which met for practice Thursday night and allowed parents to participate. Everyone sat in a circle and held hands as they prayed. Many cried.
“Deven is such a hardworking and loving person,” her teammate Liyah Deveaux said Sunday. “We can’t wait for her to get back on her feet. We love and miss her so much.”

A GoFundMe site has raised more than $100,000 for the family.

“We’re really trying to help and be supportive, but we feel absolutely helpless that we can’t make it better,” Morgan said. “Every single one of us would be in there digging through the rubble. If we could be there, we’d be doing it.”

Continue Reading


Annoyed Mom Of 7 Puts Up Angry Sign After Neighbors Keep Complaining About Her Kids



An annoyed California mom has erected a sign calling her neighbors “Karens” after they repeatedly complained about her seven kids playing outside. Raquel Davis of Sacramento allows the kids to play outdoors on the street in front of their house, with several of them enjoying skateboarding as a hobby. However, the neighbors are none too happy about this and have been calling the police because of the noise, claiming that it’s meant to be a quiet community, not a public park.

1. RAQUEL’S SIGN READS: “THIS NEIGHBORHOOD IS FULL OF KARENS.”She decided to put the sign up after becoming fed up with the latest police call-out last Saturday when one of her sons was celebrating his birthday by skateboarding on the street. One neighbor even came over to claim he could hear the kids from inside his house and to demand that Raquel make the kids watch their language. While she tried to be agreeable, once the neighbor left, Raquel hit breaking point.

2. SHE HUNG THE SIGN UP IN HER DRIVEWAY.Raquel didn’t know what else to do but to hang the sign on the basketball hoop in her driveway, displaying the angry message to the rest of the neighborhood. “I felt this is my son’s birthday party. They’re out skateboarding and I guess I was at my final straw. My last thing. I don’t know what to do so I put up the sign,” Davis told CBS 13. She claims the police have been called three times in the past month and she’s at wit’s end.

3. THE BEST DATING/RELATIONSHIPS ADVICE ON THE WEB – SPONSORED If you’re reading this, check out Relationship Hero, a site where highly trained relationship coaches get you, get your situation, and help you accomplish what you want. They help you through complicated and difficult love situations like deciphering mixed signals, getting over a breakup, or anything else you’re worried about. You immediately connect with an awesome coach on text or over the phone in minutes. Just click here

4. THE NEIGHBORS AREN’T TOO BOTHERED ABOUT THE SIGN – THEY CARE ABOUT THE SKATEBOARDING.One neighbor claimed to the news station that they hadn’t called police at all but that those in the neighborhood couldn’t care less about Raquel’s sign. Instead, they wanted the noise and skateboarding to stop. “These folks moved in and it’s basically The Animal House, house in the neighborhood,” Bruce Foster, one upset neighbor, revealed. “There is like no sense of noise control.”

5. THE NOISE HAS BEEN HAPPENING FOR MONTHS AND RESIDENTS ARE SICK OF IT.Foster added: “It’s like there’s a park going on here. This is a neighborhood. It’s not the park. The people that live here did not move next to the park on purpose.” However, Davis said she didn’t know how to eliminate all noise when the kids are simply outside playing as kids do.

6. HOW WITH THIS SITUATION EVER GET RESOLVED?According to Foster, the only way forward is for Davis to begin addressing the issue. “They need to start recognizing that they have neighbors. That’s what it’s going to take. There’s no other alternative. The neighbors are not going away,” he said. However, Davis still doesn’t get what the problem is. “That’s why I came to this because I don’t know what else to do. I don’t know who’s calling. I keep my kids in past dark. I don’t know what to do,” she said.

Continue Reading


4-Year-Old Dies After Choking On Thumbtack On Brother’s Birthday



Before her 4-year-old son died in a tragic accident, Ayla Rutherford, 29, was getting ready for her 6-year-old’s birthday celebration in Graham Washington.

She went to take a shower when her husband, Josh, also 29, woke up. She then heard a terrifying scream…their youngest son, Axel, had put a thumbtack in his mouth and aspirated it. Josh knew his son was choking and was attempting to do the Heimlich maneuver to save their child’s life.

4-Year-Old Dies After Choking On Thumbtack On Birthday
Image via Shutterstock

While they waited for the ambulance, Rutherford said it was “the longest moment of my life.” She recalled the moment her husband called her name at 9:30 the morning of January 9 — saying she knew something was wrong.

“I immediately ran downstairs and I saw my husband and in-laws around him trying the Heimlich [maneuver],” she told The Daily Mail. “We thought my kid was choking — he wasn’t breathing. He was trying but he couldn’t. I was crying and screaming.”

Her mother-in-law called 911 as her husband searched her son’s mouth for whatever could be blocking his airway. Before long, Axel lost consciousness and turned blue.

“It felt like forever,” the mom recalled, “but eventually one of my neighbours across the street heard me screaming and crying. He started chest compressions. It was a three-way of trying to keep oxygen in him.”

“Eventually the [paramedics] showed up and tried CPR, then they started the paddles,” she shared.

4-Year-Old Dies After Choking On Thumbtack On Birthday
Image via Shutterstock

After multiple attempts to revive the boy, they rushed him to Mary Bridge Children’s Hospital in Tacoma. Doctors couldn’t find anything in Axel’s throat but a scan revealed he had a pushpin “between his ribs” — and the pin had punctured his left lung.

The thumbtack “had blocked the way for his right lung to breathe too,” the mom added. “He couldn’t get oxygen no matter what,” she continued. “They found the pushpin between his ribs on his left side.”

It took doctors two hours to remove the pin from the boy, going in through a tracheotomy.

“When you’re not breathing, your throat closes up,” Rutherford explained. “They had to do a tracheotomy and cut a hole in his throat to get it out. They eventually got it out and it was just a regular size thumbtack,” she said.

But Axel was not out of the woods. He’d gone a long time without oxygen and went into cardiac arrest five times.

“He wasn’t going to come back from that,” his mom said. “They told us not to hope, but we did anyway.”
4-Year-Old Dies After Choking On Thumbtack On Birthday
Image via Shutterstock

Axel battled for survival for three days while on life support. Doctors also did a brain test on Axel, which consisted of two tests that needed to be done 12 hours apart.

“We were praying really hard,” Rutherford recalled. “I was like ‘Please don’t take my baby. Don’t take him from me.’”

An Electroencephalography test, or EEG, showed that Axel had no brain waves.

“At the first brain death test, me and his daddy and the doctor were there. It took half an hour and she told us it showed signs of brain death,” she recalled. “We wanted to do the second one. Our entire family showed up for that test. It was midnight the next day that they did the second test,” she added.

Their doctor saw a “minuscule sign of brain life.”

4-Year-Old Dies After Choking On Thumbtack On Birthday
Image via Shutterstock

This meant they couldn’t officially declare him brain dead.

“His pupil twitched a bit and when they took him off life support, he tried to take a breath,” she said. “He tried.”

The only thing left for the family to do was wait. Rutherford and her husband would visit him in the hospital. They read him books, sang him songs, and told him that “we loved him.”

“On the 16th, me and my husband and Soren were out going on errands when we got a call from the doctor about around 1 p.m. saying he did a brain death test without us knowing,” she recalled.

The doctor instructed them to come to the hospital quickly.

“The doctor told us he was really aggressive with Axel to see if he could get any brain activity. He didn’t,” she said.

4-Year-Old Dies After Choking On Thumbtack On Birthday
Image via Shutterstock

On 1:35 p.m. January 17, Axel was officially declared brain dead. He was cremated and his family held a service for him on February 6. And telling their 6-year-old Soren was beyond difficult.

“That day we came home, me and his daddy sat him down and told him Axel died,” the mom recalled. “You use real words. You don’t tell him he passed away or he’s gone. You tell him that he died. You use real words — even though they hurt.

“We told him that he died, and we had to explain that he’s with Jesus and no longer sick, but he wouldn’t be coming home anymore,” she continued.

“He cried for five minutes then said, ‘I want to go watch TV.’ He’s special needs and didn’t really understand,” she added.

Axel had never put anything in his mouth before and his mom never imagined this happening.

“We were done with the baby thing. Of course, we were still cautious, but I was thinking where did he even get the tack? We didn’t have any pins like that in the house,” she explained.

The only thing that came to mind were the thumbtacks she used for her homeschool posters, but she swears she will only use sticky tack from now on.

“It’s just not worth it — it’s not,” she said. She still thinks of what would have happened if he would have swallowed it and it went into his stomach instead of aspirating it.

“If Axel had swallowed it, he’d have been okay,” she said. “It might have punctured his intestine or his stomach and he’d have told me his tummy hurts, then we’d have taken him to the hospital.”

4-Year-Old Dies After Choking On Thumbtack On Birthday
Image via GoFundMe

On a GoFundMe page that the family started to help raise money for Axel’s funeral fees, the mom shares her son was a happy boy “filled with so much light and laughter.”

“He LOVED and I mean LOVED dressing up. From superhero[s]\ to Woody or Buzz to daddy’s shirt to mommy boots to drawing on his face to be Catboy from PJ Mask. And the hats our baby LOVED hats, any kind he could turn anything into a hat.

“A tack. A thumbtack did so much damage to his little body,” she added.

She wrote that she prays that anyone with a child in the house will remove thumbtacks because “there are other ways to hold things up that won’t hurt or kill a child.”

“I know that our hearts will always have a chunk missing because he took it with him,” she wrote.

Continue Reading