Nurses in tears as baby wins her coronavirus fight

Little Erin Bates has become a symbol of hope.

Nurses formed a guard of honour and clapped as six-month-old baby Erin was wheeled out of isolation.

The baby girl was being treated at Alder Hey Children’s Hospital in Liverpool in the UK, where she battled COVID-19 for two weeks, since being diagnosed on April 10.

Erin Bates has a rare heart defect called Tetralogy of Fallots, which required her to have several operations, including open heart surgery, when she was only a few months old. She also suffers from lung problems and was born severely underweight. Doctors feared she wouldn’t survive catching the deadly virus.

Little Erin has spent four of her six months of life in ICU. But against all the odds Erin has made a full recovery from COVID-19.

Husband’s beautiful letter to his family before he died of coronavirus. And kids and COVID-19: the facts.

The nurses for a guard of honour as Erin leaves isolation. Photo: Facebook.

Beating a killer

“Six month old Erin was recently diagnosed with #COVID19 and was in an isolation room here for 14 days with mum Emma whilst being treated,” a hospital spokesperson said.

“Today, Erin beat COVID-19 and received a guard of honour by the treating team on our HDU as she was moved out of isolation.”

Emma, 29 shared on Facebook that Erin wasn’t expected to survive.

“We were told after several days we were going to loose (sic) her,” she said.

But their daughter is a fighter.

Want to join the family? Sign up to our Kidspot newsletter for more stories like this.

Erin Bates linked up to a CPAP machine in Liverpool’s Alder Hey Children’s Hospital as she fought coronavirus.Source:Facebook

So proud

“Our little girl has beat COVID-19,” Emma said. “We are so proud.”

“Thank you to all the staff at Alder Hey you are truly amazing.”

The family has set up a GoFundMe page to help with managing Erin’s ongoing medical needs.

It’s hoped Erin will be home for her birthday in October.

“After our 2 weeks of isolation we then potentially may have to stay here many more months to get Erin bigger and stronger to see if she can breathe on her own without the help of the BIPAP/CPAP machine,” Emma said.

If the nurses’ moving reaction is anything to go by, it seems like everyone has faith that she will.