Mom Said She Never Thought She Could Forget a Child in a Hot Car. Officers Say 5-Month-Old Is Lucky to Be Alive

A mom called police on herself when she realized that she left her 5-month-old child in a hot car all by herself.

As KTVK reports, Stacey Holly was shopping at a local Arizona Target with her sister in June when she said she realized her grave mistake. Holly called 911 to reveal that she left her daughter inside of her car for roughly 30 minutes while she shopped.

When officers from the Goodyear Police Department arrived at the scene, they said the 5-month-old baby girl was lucky to be alive.

Now, footage from one of the officer’s body cameras has been released. On the footage, the officer can be heard saying:

“I’m not a weather expert but her body, she said she was cold, so if she’s going through that transition, she got lucky, very lucky.”

Holly is also heard getting emotional, telling the officers:

“We got out to go into the store and we forgot her. I don’t know how we forgot her but we just forgot her. […] I think that these people who do it, who you see on TV, I’m likeGod, how stupid are they to leave their kids in the car?’ And then it happened.”

Also with Holly and her sister that day, was Holly’s 6-year-old daughter. The 37-year-old mom said as she was getting her 6-year-old out of the vehicle, she got “distracted” while telling her sister that she “needed to shave her legs.”

Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office

It wasn’t until after the group came back to their car following the Target run that they realized what happened.

And while Holly said they were only in the store for about 30 minutes, detectives told KTVK that it was closer to an hour. It was about 100-degrees that day in Arizona. Officers said the baby was sweating so much that she was cold.

Thankfully, after being taken to the hospital to receive fluids, the 5-month-old is now doing well.

As a result of the mother’s actions, Holly was charged with one count of endangerment and one count of reckless child abuse. According to Inside Edition, Holly has pled not guilty and is expected back in court on September 19.