Connect with us

Local News

Mom Arrested for Murdering Disabled Daughter While Husband Was Away in Fishing Trip



Elise C. Nelson, a resident of Paynesville, Minnesota, has been incarcerated after allegedly killing her disabled daughter, Kylie Larson, and waiting hours while her daughter lay dying before calling for the authorities. She is to face a hearing on the 8th of October.
The suspect is charged with second-degree intentional murder and second-degree manslaughter after intentionally denying care for her disabled daughter and silencing the alarm mechanism of the oximeter, as ruled by the Midwestern Medical Examiner’s Office.
Suspect switched off daughter’s vital oxygen alarm
Court documents obtained by The Sun stated that Kylie had medical problems such as chronic respiratory failure and severe developmental delay (acquired from oxygen loss during childbirth). She also required constant care and was unable to walk on her own or take care of herself.
Due to this condition, she was forced to wear a pulse oximeter, which is a finger clip device that monitored one’s oxygen levels and pulse rate — if one of these figures dropped too low, a warning alarm would sound off.
Read also: Texas Father Shoots 2 Young Daughters Amid Custody Dispute

Photo by slgckgc on / CC BY

The crime is thought to have occurred on the 20th of June when Nelson’s husband was on a fishing trip and their other children were away from home. Throughout the weekend, Nelson continued to silence the alarm, eventually turning it off altogether.

Kylie’s last pulse was detected at 6:43 A.M., on the 22nd of June. Her mother waited for 6 hours before calling 911, and by the time first responders arrived, they found Kylie lying on the living room floor, unmoving and with significant amounts of blood pooling up on the back of her legs.

Medtronic, the company which produced the oximeter, told Stearns Country Sheriff’s Office that the device was perfectly fine, meaning the “malfunction” reported by Nelson was intentional, Crime Online reported.
Kylie remembered by bereaved loved ones

In 2008, Nelson and her husband had a similar conflict regarding the medical industry, when they sued Affiliated Community Medical Centres and Rice Memorial Hospital for medical malpractice on behalf of their daughter. This was in connection to Kylie’s disabilities caused by the hospital’s incompetency.

They were awarded $23.2 million by a jury, but this was rendered void by the defendants appealing to Judge Donald Spilseth (formerly of the Kandiyohi District) in opposition to that amount.

Photo: The Sun
Both sides went into mediation and a settlement was reached, but the defendants’ attorney, David Alsop, stated on Thursday that he could not properly disclose the settlements’ terms, and so it remains sealed 8 years later.

In her online obituary, Kylie is described by her family as “our gift from God. … Her smile was so beautiful it radiated love and joy to all. Kylie enjoyed being outside and moving around, whether it be spinning around in her chair, going for walks with friends and family, or traveling to new places.
Being a student of Paynesville Middle School, she was reportedly in good terms with her classmates, despite her condition. “…her fellow schoolmates looked forward to pushing her around the halls and laughing with her,” the obituary reads.
Read also: Fire in Michigan Kills 3 People, Jealous Girlfriend Suspected of Arson

Continue Reading

Local News

California cops’ Memorial Day tribute busted by spelling police



Just throw in the “e” for effort.

A well-meaning salute to heroes by the San Jose Police Department was cited for bad spelling on Twitter, where the cops botched an operative word.

“Remembering and Honoring Our Heros,” reads a graphic celebrating Memorial Day.

Missing from the SJPD’s spelling of the word “heros” is the letter e.

Several commenters, all of whom should expect to get a ticket if pulled over for speeding in the Silicon Valley area, noted that a heros is a type of fish found in South America.

Continue Reading

Local News

Only 10 people who’ve gotten Moderna’s COVID-19 vaccine have had severe allergic reactions – and more than 4 million doses have been given out



The odds of having a severe allergic reaction after receiving Moderna’s COVID-19 vaccine are looking incredibly slim.

On Friday the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released its first comprehensive trove of data detailing how many people have had confirmed allergic reactions after getting Moderna’s new shot.

Among more than 4 million doses of the vaccine that were administered nationwide from December 21 to January 10, just 10 people reported confirmed cases of anaphylaxis after vaccination, which is a severe allergic reaction requiring administration of epinephrine. That rate of anaphylaxis cases is 2.5 per million.

An additional 43 vaccine-takers had less severe nonanaphylactic allergic reactions, with symptoms including itching (especially in the mouth and throat), rashes, and “sensations of throat closure.”

There have been no reports of death so far, and patients have generally recovered well after these allergic reactions, though five of the 10 severe cases had to be admitted to intensive care first. ( Pfizer’s new COVID-19 vaccine , too, has been very rarely associated with severe allergic reactions .)

Read More : Why America’s vaccine rollout was a total disaster – and what it means for the next few months

10 women have had severe, allergic reactions to the Moderna vaccine
The first day of Moderna COVID-19 vaccinations in Broadbent Arena at the Kentucky State Fair and Exposition Center on January 4, 2021 in Louisville, Kentucky.
Jon Cherry/Getty Images

All of the confirmed cases of anaphylaxis after administration of Moderna’s shot so far were in women, which isn’t a huge surprise when you consider that most of the non-elderly people who’ve been vaccinated so far are healthcare workers, an industry which is 76% female in the US.

In addition, according to CDC data, more than 2.4 million woman have gotten Moderna’s shot, compared with 1.4 million men (an additional 125,000-plus people who got Moderna shots didn’t record a sex.)

Most of the anaphylactic reactions happened within just minutes of vaccination. Only one of the ten cases took longer than 30 minutes to present, post-vaccination:

For these reasons, the CDC is recommending that all vaccine sites have doses of epinephrine on hand, and that people who get vaccinated should wait 30 minutes at the vaccine site before heading off, just in case something happens.

“It’s important that anybody who has had anaphylaxis talk to their vaccinator about that, and make sure that if they choose to be vaccinated, they wait the 30 minutes,” Dr. Thomas Clark, who’s been tracking allergic reactions after vaccination at the CDC, told reporters earlier this month .

Nine of the 10 patients who had severe, allergic reactions after Moderna’s shot had a history of allergies, and the most common allergies among them were to drugs (six patients). Just one patient with a severe reaction after vaccination had a food allergy.

“You know, many, many people with histories of allergies were vaccinated uneventfully,” Dr. Clark added.

People who do have an allergic reaction after their first shot of Moderna or Pfizer’s vaccine should not get their second dose, the CDC says.

Continue Reading

Local News

Sullivan County Sheriff’s Office: Woman charged with second-degree murder following shooting



PINEY FLATS, Tenn. (WJHL) – The Sullivan County Sheriff’s Office has charged a woman with second-degree murder following a shooting investigation.

According to a release, Teresa Sherrill, 48, is charged for the death of John Sherrill, 71.

The Sullivan County Sheriff’s Office Dispatch received a 911 call Sunday just before 9:00 p.m. from 341 Warren Road in Piney Flats in “reference to a shooting.”

“The caller identified herself as Teresa Sherrill and stated that her boyfriend, John Sherrill, had attacked her,” the press release said. “Ms. Sherrill stated that she shot Mr. Sherrill.”

According to the press release, upon arrival, deputies discovered John Sherrill was dead.

The release stated the victim appeared to have both knife and gunshot wounds.

Sherill is being held in the Sullivan County Jail on a $10,000 bond.

Continue Reading