Bellevue, Washington native Rob Kenney didn’t grow up with a dad in his life, so there are a lot of things he had to learn how to do all on his own. Not wanting other kids to go through the same experience, he decided to start his own YouTube channel entitled “Dad, How Do I?” full of valuable lessons that kids need to know.
1. ROB’S FATHER LEFT WHEN HE WAS 12.In an interview with Shattered, Rob recalled, “By the time I got to be 10, 11, 12, you could definitely tell there was some dysfunction going on. We used to have even boxes in our downstairs because my mom never really unpacked. I think my mom … wanted to get back to Kansas. I think that really took a toll on her.” It got to the point that he was forced to move back with his mom. “He got custody of us, but he didn’t really want us. I think he was kind of done by that time. He said, ‘You know, I’m done having kids. … You’re going to have to figure out where these kids are going because otherwise I’m putting them in foster homes,’” he shared.
2. ROB HAS ALWAYS WANTED TO “RAISE GOOD ADULTS.”While Rob and his wife of 29 years have raised two happy adults and he’s reconciled with his father, he still wants to make a positive difference in other kids’ lives. “I never wanted to be wealthy. I never wanted to be necessarily successful. My goal in life was to raise good adults – not good children but good adults – because I had a fractured childhood.”
3. THE BEST DATING/RELATIONSHIPS ADVICE ON THE WEB – SPONSORED If you’re reading this, check out Relationship Hero, a site where highly trained relationship coaches get you, get your situation, and help you accomplish what you want. They help you through complicated and difficult love situations like deciphering mixed signals, getting over a breakup, or anything else you’re worried about. You immediately connect with an awesome coach on text or over the phone in minutes. Just click here…
4. QUARANTINE FINALLY INSPIRED HIM TO START HIS DAD-BASED YOUTUBE CHANNEL.“I had lots of excuses, but while we’re in quarantine, I ran out of excuses,” Rob said. “I want it to be about everyday tasks, but I also would like to pass along some of the wisdom I’ve learned along the way to encourage people.”
5. ROB’S YOUTUBE CHANNEL SHARES LOTS OF LESSONS YOU’D USUALLY GET FROM YOUR DAD.The channel includes tutorials on how to unclog a bathtub drain, how to fix running toilets, how to check your car’s oil, how to check the air pressure in your tires, and how to shave your face, among others. I may not be a kid, but I still find the lessons useful! You can check out Rob’s YouTube channel here.