A man who spent years on death row has been executed in the most ‘excruciating’ way, according to reports. Wesley Ira Purkey, 68, was sentenced to the death penalty in 2004 for raping, murdering, and dismembering 16-year-old Jennifer Long, six years after the crime was committed.
1. WHAT WESLEY IRA PURKEY DID TO JENNIFER LONG WAS HORRENDOUS. After kidnapping the teen in 1998, he killed her and then used a chainsaw to dismember her body. After attempting to burn her remains, he then put what wouldn’t burn in a Clearwater, Kansas septic pond.
2. HE KILLED ANOTHER WOMAN THE SAME YEAR. Also in 1998, Purkey went to the home of 80-year-old polio sufferer Mary Bales to fix her leaky taps before murdering her by bludgeoning her to death with a hammer. He pleaded guilty to the crime as well as to Jennifer’s murder, which got him sentenced to death.
3. THE BEST DATING/RELATIONSHIPS ADVICE ON THE WEB – SPONSORED If you’re reading this, check out Relationship Hero, a site where highly trained relationship coaches get you, get your situation, and help you accomplish what you want. They help you through complicated and difficult love situations like deciphering mixed signals, getting over a breakup, or anything else you’re worried about. You immediately connect with an awesome coach on text or over the phone in minutes.
4. PURKEY WAS GIVEN A LETHAL INJECTION OF PENTOBARBITAL IN JULY 2020. Lethal injection is said to be a more humane way of executing someone, but Wesley Ira Purkey is said to have experienced “severe bilateral acute pulmonary edema” and “frothy pulmonary edema in the trachea and main stem bronchi.” According to news.com.au, that basically means that his lungs filled with water and that’s one of the most painful things someone can experience.
5. HE WILL STILL HAVE BEEN ALIVE WHEN EXPERIENCING THAT SENSATION.Dr. Gail Van Norman was called in to go over the autopsy and said that there’s no doubt that Purkey experienced a horrendous death. “It is a virtual medical certainty, that most, if not all, prisoners will experience excruciating suffering, including sensations of drowning and suffocation from (the drug) pentobarbital,” she said.
6. PURKEY WAS SAID TO BE IN ILL HEALTH BEFORE HIS EXECUTION. According to reports, he had been suffering from Alzheimer’s and dementia. The night before his execution, he is said to have claimed he will vote for Bill Clinton in the upcoming election.
7. HE CLAIMED TO BE SORRY FOR HIS CRIMES.“I deeply regret the pain and suffering I caused to Jennifer’s family. I am deeply sorry,” Purkey’s last words were reported to be. “I deeply regret the pain I caused to my daughter, who I love so very much. This sanitized murder really does not serve no purpose whatsoever.”