Connect with us

Crime

BREAKING: AI Review of Shooter of LA Sheriff’s Deputies Indicates Gunman Has Body Geometry of a Dwarf

Published

on

BREAKING: AI Review of Shooter of LA Sheriff’s Deputies Indicates Gunman Has Body Geometry of a Dwarf

Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva announced Sunday that the Board of Supervisors authorized a $100,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of the suspect in the ambush shooting Saturday night of two Sheriff Deputies. 

The two young deputies were ambushed and shot as they sat in their squad car near a Compton Metro station.

The deputies were reported to be out of surgery on Sunday.  One deputy is 31-year-old woman who is the mother of a 6-year-old boy and was shot in the jaw and the arm.  The other deputy is a 24-year-old man. They were both new to the force, having been sworn in 14 months ago, reported KCBS-TV.

Los Angeles County Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas said both deputies were in critical condition after surgery:

Police describe the shooter as a Black male between 28-30 years old wearing dark clothing and say he was last seen leaving the scene in a black four-door sedan.

$100K REWARD OFFER in Manhunt for Suspect in Ambush Shooting of 2 LA Sheriff’s Deputies #Compton

Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Homicide investigators are continuing to investigate the circumstances surrounding the shooting of two LASD deputies. The incident was reported Saturday, September 12, 2020, at approximately 6:58 p.m., at the MLK Transit Center in Compton.

A lone gunman ambushed two of our deputies last night. The suspect approached the vehicle from behind and fired several rounds from his firearm at the deputies, striking them. The deputies sustained critical injuries.

 The suspect is described as a male Black 28-30 years-old, wearing dark clothing.

The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors has authorized a $100,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the suspect.

There is no additional information available at this time.

Sheriff Alex Villanueva said “We at the LASD would like to offer our sincerest appreciation for the overwhelming support being offered from all over the Nation. We also wish to thank the LA County Board of Supervisors for sponsoring the $100K reward for the arrest and conviction of this coward.”

Anyone with information about this incident is encouraged to contact the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department’s Homicide Bureau at (323) 890-5500.

If you prefer to provide information anonymously, you may call “Crime Stoppers” by dialing (800) 222-TIPS (8477), use your smartphone by downloading the “P3 Tips” Mobile APP on Google play or the Apple App Store or by using the website http://lacrimestoppers.org.

Video of the ambush attack:

Overnight there were indications the shooter had been identified.

Per a review of information on 4chan, it first appeared that the shooter may be the same guy that was arrested on the TV show COPS in 2014.

A dwarf male was arrested with a violent past who threatened police in 2014.

The episode went viral and is still posted on the internet.

This same man was filmed in Los Angeles trashing the police in another video later in the 2014.

The man admits in the second video that he was arrested in Las Vegas earlier in the year.


Yaacov Apelbaum compared the individual in the COPS television episode to video of the shooter from Saturday using AI and identified multiple matches between the dwarf on COPS in 2014  and the LA shooter:
  1. Size
  2. Arm and Leg Geometry
  3. Hat style
  4. Pant style
  5. But the two do not match in:

    1. Runnng style
    2. Gate (Gait)

    Here is a video of the shooter and the individual on COPS side by side:

Without a better picture of his face there is a high probability it is not the man who was arrested on COPS.

A source from LA told  on Sunday that the deputies are now in stable condition.

Continue Reading

Crime

Jury finds former NASA executive guilty in shooting death of Springfield neighbor

Published

on

A former NASA executive who is accused of shooting his neighbor in Springfield, Virginia, with whom he had an ongoing dispute, has been found guilty of first-degree murder.

A former NASA executive who is accused of shooting his neighbor in Springfield, Virginia, with whom he had an ongoing dispute, has been found guilty of first-degree murder.

Michael Hetle, 52, was found guilty of shooting Javon Prather, 24, seven times. The shooting was captured by a Ring doorbell camera.

Hetle claimed he feared for his life when Prather came knocking on the door of his home, but prosecutors called it a coldblooded execution.

Fairfax County Commonwealth’s Attorney Steve Descano said the evidence was pretty clear and the jury agreed that it was “not self-defense, that it was murder in the first degree, which is murder with malice and murder with premeditation.”

Although the facts would have come out one way or the other, Descano said that being able to show the jury what happened from the video footage was a big part of getting the murder conviction.

“Being able to actually show the jury what happened and actually being able to show the demeanor and the seven shots I think really brought home to the jury the malice of getting this first-degree murder conviction,” Descano said.

Hetle was also found guilty of using a weapon in commission of a felony.

Descano said that while the verdict will not return Prather — who had served in the Maryland National Guard — to his loved ones, he hoped that the conviction brings Prather’s family some “small measure of peace.”

Hetle and Prather had simmering disputes since 2016, with Hetle repeatedly complaining and calling police about barking dogs and loud music.

Descano said that evidence submitted during trial revealed that “racial animus was a contributing factor” in Hetle’s actions, citing evidence from Hetle’s son about how the defendant referred to Prather and his wife, among other things that Descano said the jury found compelling.

“The message that I would have to the community is to remember that we all are one community. We all live here together, and Fairfax County is one. We should continue to remember that,” Descano said.

Hetle’s sentencing is scheduled on Jan. 28, 2022, and Descano said he is planning to seek a life sentence.

Like WTOP on Facebook and follow @WTOP on Twitter to engage in conversation about this article and others.

Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.

© 2021 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

Continue Reading

Crime

Time served for man who threatened Trump with package he said was ‘detonator’

Published

on

Jean-Paul Gamarra, 41, of New York, has been sentenced on charges of threatening then-President Donald Trump and the White House complex in March 2017. He gave an officer a package he claimed had a “detonator” in it. It was a Bluetooth keyboard.

A man from Long Island, New York, has been sentenced on charges of threatening then-President Donald Trump and the White House complex during a March 2017 incident.

Jean-Paul Gamarra, 45, of Copiague, was sentenced Thursday after being found guilty on May 27, 2021, of one count each of “threats to the president and threatening and conveying false information concerning the use of an explosive” following a trial in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, according to the Justice Department.

Gamarra, who has been in custody for 41 months, was sentenced to time served, which the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia said “is an effective sentence at the higher end of the applicable guidelines range.”

Under U.S. District Judge John D. Bates’ sentencing order, Gamarra will be placed on three years of supervised release.

During that period, Gamarra has to stay away from the White House, maintain mental health treatment, cooperate with the Secret Service in assessing his future risk and avoid all physical and online contact with anyone the Secret Service protects.

On the morning of March 28, 2017, Gamarra approached a uniformed, on-duty Secret Service officer a pedestrian access gate on Pennsylvania Avenue, within 100 yards of the White House.

As established at trial, he presented the officer with a package, stating it contained a “nuclear bomb detonator” that was being presented for “safekeeping.”

“Warning this is a tre threat on the President and Senator life” and “Warning 100% threat Brand New Electronic Detonator Device,” were handwritten on the package along with Gamarra’s name and address.

In response, the Secret Service cleared the surrounding area, including the north fence line of the White House, Lafayette Park and other areas near 15th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue.

People inside nearby buildings were told to shelter in place while the D.C. police department’s Explosive Ordnance Disposal Unit evaluated the package.

The package was declared “safe” and the area reopened after approximately 90 minutes, as the package contained a Bluetooth keyboard and letter.

Gamarra was arrested at the scene and was in custody until August 2020, according to a Justice Department news release.

Previously In 2014, Gamarra was interviewed by members of the Secret Service regarding threats to then-President Barack Obama.

The Justice Department said he admitted threatening Obama in order to gain the “attention” of the Secret Service so he could “expose” “corruption.”

Continue Reading

Crime

2 Maryland pet stores banned from selling puppies

Published

on

Two Maryland pet stores that specialize in puppy sales will no longer be allowed to sell animals and the owner is facing a $500,000 civil penalty after reaching an agreement with the state attorney general.

Two Maryland pet stores that specialize in puppy sales will no longer be allowed to sell animals, and the owner is facing a $500,000 civil penalty after reaching an agreement with the state attorney general.

Just Puppies retail pet stores in Rockville and Towson, along with the stores’ owner, Mitchell Thomson, were charged in June with violating two state laws – the No More Puppy-Mills Act and the Consumer Protection Act — in their practice of selling puppies.

“The settlement prevents Just Puppies from selling dogs in Maryland, provides restitution to Maryland consumers who purchased puppies that had a congenital disorder or hereditary condition or illness at the time of purchase, and imposes civil penalties,” according to a statement Friday from the office of Attorney General Brian Frosh.

The No More Puppy-Mills Act bans the sale of dogs and cats by retail pet stores, in an effort to curb the sourcing of animals from irresponsible breeders.

Frosh’s office contends that the stores misled consumers about their relationships with breeders and continued to sell puppies after the City of Rockville revoked the store’s pet shop license.

“This settlement resolves allegations that Just Puppies and its owner violated laws intended to protect animals from irresponsible breeding and mistreatment,” Frosh said in the statement. “Consumers who were misled by Just Puppies and purchased sick dogs will get their money back or receive compensation to help pay for their pet’s care.”

As part of the settlement, Just Puppies has agreed to refund payments to customers who purchased dogs with certain conditions since Jan. 1, 2020 — the day the No More Puppy-Mills Act went into effect — or pay for treatment of certain conditions.

The settlement also requires Just Puppies to pay a civil penalty of up to $500,000, but the fine could be reduced to $100,000 if the company complies with the remedies in the agreement.

Consumers who are eligible for refunds will be contacted by the Attorney General’s Office. Consumers can also call the Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Division at 410-576-6569 with questions.

Like WTOP on Facebook and follow @WTOP on Twitter to engage in conversation about this article and others.

Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.

© 2021 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

Continue Reading

Trending