Baby Boy Killed After Being Run Over in Attempted Carjacking, Texas Police Say

A small boy was killed and his mother injured after they were run over by a man trying to steal the family car, say police in Texas.


The tragedy unfolded on Sunday afternoon when officers scrambled to reports of an accident near Texas Health Huguley Hospital, just off Interstate-35 in Burleson

Officers arrived and found the boy—who was reportedly one year old—seriously injured after being struck by the car while in his mother’s arms.

Local media reported that the boy’s parents met up at the location to exchange the child from one parent to the other when a man leapt into the mother’s car and attempted to drive it away.

The father of the child jumped into the vehicle and wrestled with the suspect, who then put the car into reverse at speed, striking the mother who was holding the baby boy. The suspect then attempted to make a getaway hitting the woman and the child as they were on the ground.

However, the suspect only made it a short distance before crashing into a tree, reported 21 CBS DFW.

Despite attempting to run away, he collapsed from the injuries he suffered during the crash.

A hospital security guard then held on to the man until police arrived and he was arrested.

The baby was taken to Cook Children’s Medical Center, but later died.

The mother was treated at the scene by medics.

Police have named Nico Dela-Fuente as a suspect. He has been arrested on suspicion of capital murder and aggravated robbery.

The 30-year-old is currently hospitalized but is due to be taken to Fort Worth Jail on a $350,000 bond.

The incident is the latest violent car crime to hit the headlines.

Last month, a pregnant woman kidnapped by a carjacker was forced to watch as her husband was executed during a murder spree in Tennessee.

Jordan Stevens and his four-month pregnant wife, Aileen, were traveling along I-24 in their Ford Mustang when they were carjacked. Twenty-nine-year old Dangelo Dorsey allegedly took them hostage at gunpoint.

Unknown to the couple at the time, Dorsey had already shot and killed one person and opened fire on other drivers when he targeted them on Sunday morning.

According to local media, police said Dorsey ordered them to drive to their home in Morrison, Tennessee where they switched vehicles and Dorsey shot Jordan Stevens, before dumping his body on I-24 in Coffee County.

Dorsey then took Aileen Stevens on a high-speed car ride leading to a police chase reaching 100 miles per hour.

He ended up crashing the car which rolled over multiple times near marker 156 in Grundy County, reported Fox17.

The media outlet said Dorsey shot himself dead at the scene while Aileen Stevens was rescued and taken to hospital. Her baby was found to be unharmed and she is expected to make a full recovery.