61-Year-Old Grandmother Declared As ‘Blind’ After Getting Attack By Acid From Stranger outside To Her Own Home

A 61-year-old grandmother and a phlebotomist declared blind after being attacked by acid by a random stranger outside her own home.

According to reports, the incident occurred at around 6:15 A.M. On the 6th of October the grandmother who is identified by the name as Helene Jones was walking towards her car which was parked just a few steps in front of her home located in Germantown in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She was said to be leaving to go and draw blood for patients at a nursing home when she was attacked.

“There was a man there and he was like ‘Hey, are you good?’ As if he was inquiring about her safety making sure she was okay and when she looked up to say ‘yes,’ he threw the stuff in her face and ran off … It’s devastating.” said Aneesha Summerville who is Jones’ daughter.

“I just heard a lot of screaming and she was banging on her door trying to get in,” neighbor Dorothy Hannibal told WPVI.

After the incident, Jones was immediately rushed to the near hospital which is Temple University Hospital, and was placed in critical condition.

“No previous exchange, no problems with anybody. Just a completely random incident,” Inspector Michael McCarrick of the Philadelphia Police Department told WPVI at the time of the attack. “If nothing happened in 20 years, the odds are nothing will happen again for 20 years. But with that, we still have to conduct our investigation.”

The Philadelphia fire department’s Hazmat Unit did the investigation about the case and they found that the liquid which was used in the attack was ‘chlorosulfuric acid’ which as per Jones’ daughter it has burned her mother’s lips, tongue, and eyes, leaving her blind.

The doctors have pronounced that she is blind and they have no confirmations whether her vision will be back or not.

Summerville said her mother had no connections with the man who attacked her but there are chances that he might have burnt his own hands from spilling some of the chemicals during the attack. The police department has initiated the investigation and for now, there is no such arrest made.

Jones’ family has set up a GoFundMe account to help cover the expenses for medical care as well as to make Jones’ house more accessible to accommodate her blindness.