As a photojournalist, I’ve spent a very long time chasing mostly negative stories. For thirty-three years that’s been all I’ve done. It begins to wear on you. For this last ten years, I’ve written, poorly, about both positive and negative events. It’s not easy finding the balance, the middle ground between the two.
Positive and negative.
San Eli News had its soft launch just a couple of months ago, and has already had over 1.2 million views/reads! During that time, I’ve reflected on what it means to be a writer and photojournalist. I’ve had to decide the direction I want to take this site and our readers. I now know what that direction is.
San Eli News will focus on the positive stories of our community.
How will we do that and just what will our overall focus be? I’m glad you asked because I hope I have an answer.
For far too long stories involving what it means to be a community have been neglected by the mainstream press. The adage, if it bleads, it leads, as been the order of the day. We are losing the stories of the elders in our community, their personal stories and histories from which we can learn. We’ve ignored the youth and what they have to say, thinking it is childish and uninformed. We no longer cover the stories of why a couple has been married for over fifty years, or why someone felt the need to save their lunch money to help a classmate.
We’ve lost what it means to be a community. We desperately need to bring that back.
Our hard launch is on 1 January 2020. Going forward, our driving guidelines and focus will be:
- Our youth: we have some amazing kids with great hopes and dreams. It’s time we focus on them, celebrate them, and share their vision for making our world a better place. We will share their stories, their triumphs, their victories and more;
- Our elders: they have lived through so much. They have gained a wealth of knowledge, and we are doing ourselves, and our children, a disservice by not listening to them, learning from them, and allowing them to guide us;
- Our faith: I’ve always said that the best way to get to know someone is to know, to understand what they believe. We will cover our collective faith and its expression and how it shapes us and helps us grow;
- Our education: we must never stop learning. We will be sharing some great content, like Everyday Astronomy with Amy, genealogy and family history, the history of our area, and so much more;
- Our sports: I’ve covered everything from the NFL, UTEP, you name it, and I’ve covered it. My favourite sports to cover are at the middle and high school level. These guys play with heart. We will attempt to cover as much as we can in 2020 and beyond;
- Our artist and writers: there is a wealth of talent in our area that we should celebrate and get to know. We will share their stories with you in hopes of inspiring the artist or writer in you;
- Our community: anything that will help us grow as a person, a family, a community, a city we will share with you.
We will also seek out members of our community to submit their work to San Eli News. If you are a writer, an artist, a photographer, we would love to share and feature your work.
It is our sincere hope that we can serve you in a way that is both informative and inspirational.
To have your work featured, or to share a story idea, you can reach us by email at Editor@SanEliNews.com or by calling 915.201.0653
Do consider supporting us. We don’t charge a subscription fee or place our photos and articles behind a paywall. We also want to keep advertising to a minimum. There are two way to support us. The first is our Patreon account.Become a Patron!
By using Patron you will be able to give a monthly contrabution to our work. It’s safe, secure and an easy way to lend your support to what we are doing.
Anohter way to support us is with a one-time contrabution using PayPal. Just slect one of the two options below, and the quantity (amount), follow the prompts and you’re set.
If you would like to support us, at the $5 intervals, simply select the quantity follow the prompts.
If you would like to support us at $10 intervals, simply select the quantityu and follow the prompts.