A 2-year-old boy was tragically killed after he accidentally shot himself with a handgun kept in his family’s home. Indiana State Police reported that Leighton Owings was pronounced dead at a local hospital after suffering a single bullet wound while his mother was in the other room feeding his baby sister. The investigation surrounding the incident continues.
1. IT’S UNCLEAR HOW LEIGHTON GOT A HOLD OF THE GUN.
However, preliminary evidence shows that the toddler pulled the trigger of a 9-millimeter Ruger kept in the family’s home on North Main Street in Fairmount. His mother, Caci Seals, was said to be tending to Leighton’s baby sibling in the front room at the time of the horrific accident.
2. SO FAR, NO CHARGES HAVE BEEN FILED.
People contacted Grant County Prosecutor Rodney L. Faulk to inquire about possible criminal charges that may be filed as a result of Leighton’s death, but the calls went unanswered.
3. THE BEST DATING/RELATIONSHIPS ADVICE ON THE WEB – SPONSORED If you’re reading this, check out Relationship Hero, a site where highly trained relationship coaches get you, get your situation, and help you accomplish what you want. They help you through complicated and difficult love situations like deciphering mixed signals, getting over a breakup, or anything else you’re worried about. You immediately connect with an awesome coach on text or over the phone in minutes.
4. LEIGHTON’S FAMILY HAS STARTED A GOFUNDME TO PAY FOR HIS FUNERAL.
They describe him as “smart, funny, and fun to be around” on the page seeking for donations to pay to lay the little boy to rest. They added: “He loves his family and loved life.”
5. THERE HAVE BEEN NEARLY 300 UNINTENTIONAL SHOOTINGS IN 2020 ALONE.
A total of 270 accidental shootings just like Leighton’s have happened this year, 109 of which resulted in death. The shooters were all 17 or younger and either shot themselves or someone else.